A B C Drawing (Adult Beginners Class)
YOU WILL COMPLETE A NEW PROJECT EACH WEEK.
Line, shape, texture and colour can be expressed in a variety of ways
*Line drawing, contour & negative shapes
*3 D shapes and shading techniques
* Oil pastel, pencil & crayon techniques
* Life drawing and still life
* INITIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PENTEL OIL PASTELS
1 SHEET OF SUGAR PAPER ( DEEP PINK A3 size)
ALL MATERIALS AVAILABLE AT “ARTSAUCE” or BRUSH & CANVAS
THURSDAY EVENINGS 18.15 to 20.15 / 7 sessions (14 HOURS)
A Women's Creativity Group
Are you a woman who seldom or never has time for herself, and is always intending to find and put some aside? Are you wanting to re-connect to your innate creativity, in a gentle, thoughtful and supportive space? Are you needing help getting started, where you will not be judged, but only encouraged? If any of these seem pertinent, or you have any queries, please contact Angela Rackstraw. You can choose between a morning or evening group (10:00 – 12 noon, or 19:00 – 21:00). Angela is a trained and registered Art therapist, and has many years’ of experience working with groups, and facilitating others creative journeys. The above groups will be for women only, but names for ‘mixed’ groups will also be taken. Various media including textiles / fabric will be used, and various themes will be introduced from time to time, and explored if appropriate. Fees can be claimed from your medical aid.
|Days & Times:||
Monday Mornings & Wednesday Evenings 10h00 – 12h00 & 19h00 – 21h00
Please call for dates
|Enquiries & Booking:||Angela Rackstraw
ABC Painting (Adult Beginners Class) Acrylics & Oils
GIFT VOUCHERS AVAILABLE
YOU WILL WORK ON 3 PAINTINGS ~ LANDSCAPE, PORTRAIT & STILL LIFE
THE FIRST SESSION WILL TEACH COLOUR MIXING and the beginning of your landscape using complimentary colours
Experiment & learn using a variety of painting techniques
Explore colour mixing, composition, mixed media etc
Initial requirements …
2B pencilTubes of acrylic paint ~ deep rose, red, mid-yellow, ultramarine, burnt sienna, burnt umber, yellow ochre, orange, leaf green, Naples yellow, Payne’s grey & white & and any other colours that you may wish to add.
No 5 & No 10 & No 18 flat brushes
No 6 & No 10 Acrylic soft pointed brush
3 x Canvas ( first session 600x400mm & after that you may buy a size of your choice)
1st lesson – 2 x photocopies of Van Gogh landscapes showing background, mid ground & foreground ( ie mountains, fields, trees etc ) &/or a similar photo if you wish to chose your own scene
WEDNESDAY EVENINGS 18.15 -20.45 / 7 sessions (17.5 HOURS)
From 23 January 2019 to 6 March 2019
7 sessions R 1300
GIFT VOUCHERS AVAILABLE
Alex 072 242 026
Art and Design Identity
This unique course provides an educational atmosphere where ‘who you are’ counts as much as ‘what you know’. You are guided to reach and express your own unique authentic voice and be taught the appropriate techniques and methodologies that are required for you to express yourself. This is achieved through suggested research, collaborative learning and individual consulatation, as well as supervised production.
This course is suitable for a student intending to apply for any higher education Art & Design programme or someone who wishes to develop their artist identity for its own sake or towards establishing a career as a professional practicing artist. There is an emphasis on portfolio development and our participating students’ applications for higher education programmes and solo exhibitions tend to be successful.
I ran the Fine Art Department at the Ruth Prowse School of Art for 15 years and have lectured for over 20 years. I have a Master’s degree in the Philosophy of Education, specializing in Higher Education Studies. I’m a practicing artist and own a business that sells artist’s solvents made from oranges. My teaching ethos is ‘to challenge without harm’.
Requirements: 1) Pinterest account – create a board called A&DID followed by your name (e.g. A&DID/Tandi) and collect pins of images (art and non-art) that engage you
2) Visual diary and pen
3) Materials, substrates and formats will be determined during the process
Days & Times: Thursday evenings, 6 to 9 pm
Date: TBC 2019
Sessions: 9 sessions
Price: R 3870.00
Enquiries/Booking: Ilhaam Behardien
Art For The Soul - Individual Classes held in Gardens Cape Town
Art for the Soul
Inspired by the word meraki: (v) to do something with soul, creativity, or love; to put something of yourself into your work
Individual Classes in Gardens Cape Town
Mornings: 09:00 – 11:00 or 12:00 – 14:00
Evenings: 19:00 – 21:00
Term dates: 4 February to 11 March
Public Holidays: None
It’s fun, relaxed, well structured and perfect for beginners who want to learn to express themselves creatively in different mediums.
Experience the excitement of art making with pencils, charcoal, pastels, watercolours, acrylics and mixed media.
Learn to apply the elements and principles of design in projects chosen according to your preference. Landscape, portrait, figure studies, abstract and expressive mixed media are among the choices.
Cost: R1500 (6 sessions) R300 Deductable deposit on booking
Includes: One-on-one instruction in an attractive garden setting
Art materials provided for first 3 classes
Refreshments and notes
Contact: Marie-Ellen Boolsen Gardens Cape Town
Call/Sms: 0827006636 for more information
Follow on: Pinterest
Art of Painting
VIVIAN VAN DER MERWE
- Tuition is highly individualised, encouraging you to develop your own style in relation to your personal concerns and aspirations as a painter.
- The goal is that of further developing your visual and artistic skill through engaging with composition, form, colour, general aesthetics and all aspects of painting technique.
- Each student is guided according to his/her own personal circumstances (how much additional time you have to paint, etc.) so there is no single outcome set for the group as a whole.
About Vivian van der Merwe:
- Since completing his MFA Degree at the Michaelis School of Fine Art in 1984, Vivian held lecturing appointments in Painting and Drawing at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Port Elizabeth and then at Stellenbosch University.
- Having taught Painting to BA Fine Art and Masters Students, he also served as an external examiner at various South African art institutions for many years.
- Past students include Marlene Steyn, Gina Heyer, Claire Menck, Greg Schultz, Oliver Chennells, Sanell Aggenbach, Francois Smit, Liza Grobler, Amy Ellenbogen and many others who have established successful professional careers in the art world.
- In 2012 he left full-time academia and decided to teach much more selectively in order to dedicate more time to his own painting.
DAYS/TIMES: Thursdays: 19h00 – 21h00
DATES: Thursday 10 January – Thursday 28 February
PRICE: R 1800 for 8 sessions
CONTACT: (021) 880-2727 [home/studio]
(082) 961-9519 [mobile]
Beginners Ceramic Lessons
Hand building of functional and sculptural work
- slab work
- engraving/impression work
Decoration with a broad range of ceramic media.
Fun, Social and Relaxing lessons with Product/ Spacial design teacher Sharde Roux.
Lovely secure environment, safe parking.
Work will be weighed and R25.00 per kg will be charged to cover clay, glaze and firing.
Days & Times: THURSDAY : 18h00 – 20h00
Sessions: 6 Sessions
Enquiries & Booking: Sharde Roux
Botanical Drawing & Art (Beginners Class)
BOTANICAL DRAWING & ART ELNA LUBBE
You will learn to do detailed botanical drawing from plants and flowers created by careful observation and the practice of pencil drawing skills and shading techniques. Watercolour techniques will follow, of which some exercises will be more spontaneous in application. This introductory course will prepare you to work on your own after completion, or you can choose to continue with the intermediate course.
These classes will be suitable for anyone who loves nature and would like to create botanical art in a peaceful environment.
Students will be encouraged to work in the style that becomes their own and to create vibrant, realistic drawings.
- All plant specimens will be supplied throughout the course.
- Pencils in h, hb, 3b, 4b, 6b and sharpener.
- Water colour brush shape and sizes: round, 0 and 2 and a cheap synthetic mixing brush.
- Water colours: Cotmans watercolour tubes, Lemon Yellow, Permanent Rose, Intense blue (pthalo blue) and Sap green, or if you have good quality watercolours of your own, bring those.
- 1 X Paint well or a plastic ice cube tray +- 8 -10 wells for colour mixing.
- 1 X A3 multi-media sketch pad (or water colour pad, Hot pressed, smooth, 350gsm) or individual sheets as we progress.
- 1 X Sketch pad.
Days and times: Wednesdays: 18h55 – 20h55
Dates: 30 January, 6, 13, 20, 27 February, (no class on 6 March) and 13 and 20 March
Enquiries and Booking: Elna Lubbe
Cell: 082 784 2678
NOTE: Intermediate learners also welcome!
Chocolate Workshop (for beginners)
Classes in Oil Painting
- Individual tuition in a small group.
- Beginners to advanced.
- Basic grounding in oil painting technique, colour theory, tonal modelling, composition, expression, abstraction, and the use of subject-matter and concepts.
- Students are encouraged to develop their own style and vision – one that is a true expression of their experience and perception of the world they live in. To this end the course is tailored and adapted to the individual requirements of each student.
Days & times: Evening classes: Thursdays 19:00 – 21.00
Dates: 10 January- 28 February 2019
Enquiries & Booking: Deon Liebenberg
082 7260 722
- Deon Liebenberg has lectured in colour, painting, drawing, life drawing and related fine art subjects at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology from 1984 to 2016. He has also done short spells as a visiting lecturer at Stellenbosch University’s Department of Fine Art.
- Currently he works as art director at a leading Cape Town based architectural visualization studio.
- He is also active as a research fellow at CPUT, regularly publishing articles in academic journals, both local and international, on art history, architecture, and on myth.
- He has had a number of solo exhibitions of his paintings, as well as taking part in group exhibitions.
Starch Resist Method for Fabric Designing
STARCH RESIST METHOD FOR FABRIC DESIGNING DELIA FUNK
4 Sessions, 6.30 to 8.00pm, Wednesday evenings
Cost: R850.00 for full course of 4 sessions.
This includes all materials. Payable in full before course commences. This reserves your place and includes your materials kit which has to be made up for you, prior to start. Last day for payment is: Monday 1st October.
Come and enjoy a wonderful way of making designs onto fabric. It is simple to use and easy to learn. It is creative and can be used in conjunction with freehand painting to great effect.
During the four sessions, I will show you how to use this method for great results. You can then do it at home and put your own designs onto cushions, covers, curtains, table cloths, mats, bags and wall art.
The 4 sessions break down into the following classes:
- Introduction and samples
Demo on how the method work
Transferring your design onto the fabric
Please bring your own HB pencil to this first class.
I provide the textile, a piece of high quality heavy cotton, 50 x 50 cm (cushion size).
- Lesson 2. We applying the starch resist to the textile according to the designs we have worked out.
This is very flexible and we work quite loosely and free hand.
I supply the starch resist.
You take your piece home with you, and allow for drying. Needs to be bone dry by next week
You need to bring an apron and palette knife/flat edged knife to this 2nd session.
- Lesson 3. Laying down the colour. Student must bring own paintbrush, one thick and one thin. I supply all the dyes.
- Lesson 4. We scrape off the resist here to reveal your beautiful design all painted in.
Bank account details: Bank: Nedbank Account no: 1581007094
Creative Surface Decoration Classes
LEARN TO CREATE AND PRINT YOUR OWN PERSONALISED TOTE BAG BY MAKING YOUR OWN STENCIL USING A PHOTOGRAPH OR DRAWING OF YOUR CHOICE. NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
Learners will be exposed to a variety of basic printing-on-fabric methods using a stencil they have created with their own designs and learn how to include/manipulate their stencil prints to produce advanced colour-blocking techniques.
Learners are advised to wear old clothes or an apron as this fun can get messy! Spaces are limited, so book early to avoid disappointment!
- 1x tote bag
- Black fabric paint
- Variety of textured surfaces with which to include/enhance within their print media
- Extra tote bags are available for purchase
- • 3-5 images in black and white. No bigger than A4
• 3-5 Plastic file dividers – light coloured
• 1/2m calico
• Scalpel or small NT cutter
• Stippling brushes x3: round-headed synthetic brushes sizes 10, 11, 12
• Black Artline 700 khoki
• 2x Dala fabric paint colours of your choice
• Eraser and pencil
• Spare A4 sheets of blank paper
• Old newspaper or cardboard
Days & Times:
Wednesdays, 6:15 – 8:30pm
Dates: 2019 TBC
Price: R260 to secure booking
Enquiries & Booking: Belinda King
072 236 4272
Fabric Painting (Beginners to Advanced)
Learn to paint subjects ranging from flowers to animals.
All paint for main design supplied. You supply your extender, border and background paints; extra quantities available to purchase for your convenience.
REQUIREMENTS: Brushes, size 3 and 5 flat, sponge, art apron, old hand towel, soft pencil, scissors, masking tape, ruler, extender.
22, 29 January 5, 12 February Fruit Surprise R280
19, 26 February 5 , 12 March Multicolour Floral Overlay R280
All Enquiries and bookings: Wendy – 021 531 8076 / 082 391 4954
Mini Introduction To Art Therapy
This is a 6 hour workshop, where you will discover more about Art Therapy. It will be experientially based, but will also involve some discussion and information sharing. This workshop will be especially relevant to Grade 12 learners and others thinking of exploring Art Therapy as a possible career. Or you could be wishing to enrich your creative process or journey, or perhaps you are a counsellor or therapist wishing to understand a little more about art-making in a therapeutic space.
Dates will be finalised once there is a waiting list of at least 5 people. The workshop will take place on a Friday or during the school holidays. These will be repeated as necessary.
For all enquiries, please contact Angela Rackstraw, an (HPCSA registered) Art Therapist with over 20 years of experience and a passion for teaching. Angela often teaches on the Art Therapy training programme in Cork, Ireland and regularly supervises foreign Art Therapy interns here in Cape Town as part of their clinical training
Enquiries & Booking: Angela Rackstraw
021 6839654 or fax: 0866722896
Oil Painting Basics
MONDAY or TUESDAY MORNING CLASSES 2019
Learn the basics of oil painting – from how to mix your colours, tonal values, composition and perspective. Knowing the basics allows you to free up for the actual exciting process of painting in this wonderful, flexible medium.
Classes are on-going throughout the year. Studio is based in Kenilworth area.
PRICE: R440 a month payable monthly in advance.
The cost applies whether you attend class or not or whether there are 4 or 5 weeks in the month
TIME: 9.30 – 12.30
REQUIREMENTS: A4 Sketch book, 2B and 4B pencils, putty rubber. Basic colours of Cadmium red, Ultramarine blue, Cadmium yellow, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Ivory Black and Titanium white. Recommended brands are Zellen, Maimeri Classico, Daler Rowney, Winsor & Newton. Basic brush sizes 4, 8 and 12. Canvas boards, 2-ply toilet paper, old towel and apron. Only genuine turps to be used.
Bookings and Enquiries: Elizabeth Pearson – 021 671 8941 / 082 658 5533 email@example.com
Oil Painting Class
OIL PAINTING CLASS ANNE FOALE
” There is an energy in the creative process that can uplift, unify and give an experience of wholeness”
Whether you are a beginner, an artist who has lagged on the same creative plateau for years or simply deserve the space and time to paint, you will be most welcome to join my oil painting workshops. The course includes the study of line, form, pattern, composition and perspective together with sound oil painting technique and the theory of colour.
I will advise you on which canvas, paint and brushes to purchase.
THURSDAYS: 19h00 – 21h00
DATES: 2019 TBC
Bookings and Enquiries: Anne Foale – sms: 076 374 4255 / email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-school, Primary teachers & Mothers, art enrichment course
Teachers and mothers have a tremendous responsibility to establish a positive learning environment in which creativity and individuality thrive.
This art programme will inspire enthusiastic and dedicated teaching with exciting lessons, many different media and techniques.
Through slides on the development stages of Child Art, the theory of colour and practical application, participants will be challenged to nurture the seeds of creativity in their schools and homes and grow as artists themselves.
The six evenings include gauche, tempera paint, watercolour, clay, drawings in pencil and charcoal, mono printing, oil pastel and collage sessions.
TUESDAY: 19h00 – 21h00
DATES: 8th Jan -12th Feb
PRICE: R700 (including all media)
Enquiries and bookings: Mavis 021 689 3819 / email@example.com
Printing Class - Lino Print
The sessions will focus on LINO PRINTING techniques. You will get familiar with contrast, mark making, revers lettering, colour reduction-printing process and embossing using a printing press.
The course aims to equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to become confidant in the printing process. Work at your own pace and style of your choice, no experience needed.
The sessions will be hosted by Marelize Raubenheimer, an experienced art teacher in printmaking and drawing at the Peter Clarke Art Centre.
Equipment needed: All Basic equipment will be provided.
Bring some ideas of images your would like to use for your print, it’s always a good starting point.
Days & Times: Thursdays 18h00 – 20h30
Sessions: 7 Sessions (17.5 hours)
Dates: 2019 TBC
Price: R1250 (all included) – Additional lino can be ordered during the course
Class size: maximum of 10 spaces.
Venue: Peter Clarke Art Centre, Vredenhof Rd, Newlands
In the main building on the top floor. Parking is available on the premises with a night guard on duty.
Enquiries & Bookings: Marelize Raubenheimer, 0795748840, firstname.lastname@example.org
Groups are kept small to maintain and intimate working space.
To secure your spot a deposit of R250 is payable ASAP (non-refundable).
Full payment should please be made before the start of the first session
The Painting Parlour
What is YOUR unique painting identity?
Come and find out at the Artist Identity Studio, where WHO YOU ARE counts as much as WHAT YOU KNOW.
This inspirational, specialised and collaborative space will support you to connect with who you are as a painter and provide you with the appropriate painting theory and practice you need in order to realise your own authentic voice.
- Pinterest account – create 2 boards. Title the 1st board ‘Painting that works for me’ and the 2nd board ‘Painting that doesn’t work for me’. Collect pins of paintings that engage you both positively and negatively (traditional, and/or contemporary)
- Visual diary and pen
- Materials and formats will be determined during the process
Days & Times: Saturdays: 09H30 – 12H30
Enquiries & Booking: Ilhaam Behardien
084 200 1505
Fun interactive water colour sessions, with assistance.
Watercolour paper, paints & brushes.
Days & Times:
Enquiries & Booking: John-Clive Dawson Squibb
083 226 9907
WELLNESS GROUP LOREN LEWIS & DEBBIE BUB
- Do you spend most of your time sitting at home because you are feeling down and have low energy?
- Do you often feel anxious and isolate yourself from other people?
- Have you stopped doing the activities that you used to enjoy and are struggling in your life roles?
Then join us on a Wednesday or Thursday morning; sessions are facilitated by registered occupational therapists; Group fee can be claimed from your medical aid.
DAY AND TIMES: Wednesday and Thursdays 10h00 – 12h00
Facilitatored by registered occupational therapists
Enquiries and bookings: Loren Lewis / Debbie Bub
082 093 5799 (Loren) / 079 239 3134 (Debbie)
Hard Ground Etching Classes
Please contact Cath Hutton-Squire Theron directly on email@example.com to find out more regarding her hardground etchings classes.
Classes held once a term – full day Saturdays.
Cost – TBC
Saturday – dates TBC
Our Adult Education programme is run by teachers and facilitators independent of the Peter Clarke Art Centre.
The teachers/facilitators rent the rooms from the Art Centre and we accept their application to run courses from this venue, provided that the courses fit into a broad Arts category.
Some courses are experimental because we like to give new teachers/facilitators a chance to add variety to our courses.
Please note the following applies to participants in this programme:
- All photocopies are R1.00 per page (A4)
- Your course teacher/facilitator is responsible for providing refreshments during courses.
- Please do not use the tea/coffee belonging to PCAC.
- Please do not use equipment like paper, paints, brushes, scissors, etc. in the classrooms, as these are used by our children and come off the PCAC budget.
- We unfortunately do not have storage facilities for work in progress.
- Please recycle all paper and card, but other rubbish is to be thrown into a normal bin.
- PLEASE LEAVE THE CLASSROOM AS YOU FOUND IT.
We hope you will benefit from the courses offered by our Adult Education programmes.
Please view the workshops available and contact the course organiser to secure your place.