DESIGN DEPARTMENT HOD AND SURFACE DESIGN TEACHER NEEDED
What type of post is this?
This is a full time (35 hours a week) WCED contract post to teach from 1 January 2024 to 31 December 2024.
A successful 3-month probation period can lead to the conversion into a permanent post. A transfer from an existing permanent WCED post to the vacant post is also a possibility.
What does the post entail:
This post entails teaching Creative Arts – Visual Art and Design (Grade R – 12) to diverse learners on and off campus in the mornings. Afternoon teaching entails teaching FET Surface Design to Grade 10 – 12 learners.
The Art Centre Design Department consists of 3 teachers who each teach one FET Design subject namely Surface Design, Product Design and Communication Design. Managing the Design Department as the Head of Department is included in this post.
Surface Design includes but is not limited to:
- The creation of decorative surfaces through the experimentation with colour, shape, composition, repeat pattern and form applied to paper and textiles.
- The creation of interior and fashion textiles and developing entrepreneurial skills.
- To prepare lessons, taking into account school preferred themes, active art centre projects, CAPS curriculum requirements, inclusivity, new approaches, techniques, evaluation and LTSM within Grade R – 9 Creative Arts – Visual Art/ Design and Grade 10 – 12 FET Design.
- To plan, co-ordinate, control, administer, evaluate and report on learners’ academic progress.
- To take on a leadership role in respect of Grade 10 – 12 FET Design.
- To coordinate evaluation/assessment, homework, written assignments, practical tasks, tests and exams of the FET Design Department.
- To meet parents/ guardians to discuss the progress and conduct of their children/ wards.
- To cooperate with further and higher education institutions in relation to learners’ records, performance and career opportunities.
- To have contacts with the public on behalf of the principal.
Working hours and days:
The post requires that the new incumbent be timetabled to teach 4 mornings and 5 afternoons per week. Morning working hours are from 08h30 to 13h30. Afternoon teaching hours are from 14h30 to 17h15 daily. Attending the weekly general staff meeting on Tuesdays from 13h10 to 14h00 is compulsory.
- A three/ four year recognised Visual Art/ Design qualification.
- PGCE or a similar teaching qualification and a SACE certificate.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in Grade 10 – 12 FET Design teaching is essential.
- Prior proven management experience will be beneficial.
This is a WCED contract post and the salary is commensurate with your qualifications.
How to apply:
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, 26 September 2023 at 09h00.
Your application must consist of the following:
- An updated CV and certified copies of all qualifications.
- Letter of application stating why you are applying for this post.
- Two examples of design work done with learners in the past.
- Two examples of your own design work.
- An original year plan for each grade (Grade 10 – 12) demonstrating how the prescribed CAPS curriculum requirements in terms of Topic 1 (Planning and Design in a Business Context Task), Topic 2 (The Product) and Topic 3 (Design in Context theory) will be divided into Term 1 to 4 to ensure that all is covered. As the HOD of the Design Department these plans will be the driving force of managing the department.
Please note: – All posts are subject to shortlisting and successful applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Should you not hear from us by Friday, 29 September 2023, please consider your application unsuccessful.
For OPEN DAY BOOKINGS please fill out the booking form found here:
We look forward to welcoming you to our creative career’s expo this year. Please save the date!
PLEASE JOIN OUR EXHIBITION BY SUBMITTING YOUR ARTWORK OR DESIGN WORK.
PLEASE SEE BELOW GOOGLE LINK:
We have made a google form and would like to capture as many alumni on our database.
Don’t forget to share the link with your fellow art centre classmates too!
We are excited to announce the opening of Mandred Zylla’s ‘1964 till now’ exhibition hosted at our very own Peter Clarke Art Centre.